Money For Minority Broadcasters? What A Joke!
On Monday the various organizations representing minority broadcasters came together to ask for bailout money “akin to that given to the banking and auto industry”. I was so blown away at this that I had come up with an angry post to write, but I decided this would do better in list form. All the reasons not to bailout minority broadcasters.
- Being a minority does not make these businesses more deserving than any other broadcaster.
- Minority broadcasters struggle more than others because they have a narrow slice of the potential viewership, appeal to the mainstream and you can get money.
- Propping up minority businesses by virtue of their being minorities ultimately hurts the black community more than anything else, affirmative action is the worst thing to happen to black America since slavery. For an in depth explanation of this one ask in the comments and you shall receive.
- The Banking and Auto industry, while I disagree with bailing them out, catered to the entire population, not a 15% sliver.
- These broadcasters claim they can’t attract advertisers. You don’t deserve to be bailed out if advertisers want more bang for their buck… make you product more attractive.
- Minority broadcasters are not unique, the entire broadcasting industry has been struggling for a long while now. The iPod killed the radio star.
- These broadcasters have no strategy. If we bail them out today how do they make money in the future?
- More to Come…